Sunday, March 14, 2010

More coop progress

This may not look much different from what I posted yesterday - but all the walls were sanded and stained today so they are ready to put together. Of course the time change threw my schedule off a bit - I didn't reset the clock before bed so I woke up and by the time I got breakfast to the kids it was nearly 10:00! I was going to try to assemble the coop today but decided it will be too hard to move assembled. The 10 foot walls are pretty heavy and I need help from the kids to be able to move them. So, I decided it will be better to get the foundation piers ready and then move everything outside and set it up.

I was able to get 3 of the 10 piers into the ground - 7 more to go! But I have one short end wall set of piers in the ground and level which I am happy about. I am hoping to get two more piers each night this week after work, but there are certainly a lot of things going on this week. The kids are home for Spring Break - so I am not sure I will be able to work each night - but who knows - maybe I can get them to help dig holes!

Once the piers are all in place, I need to cut, sand and stain two more 2x4s to go across the top to connect the front and back walls. and then I can move it outside and set it up. Some friends are coming for dinner next Saturday (annual St. Patties day feast - I will post recipes when the time is closer) - so I am hopeful that I can have the coop set up by then. If I have the roof supports started by then they will be able to get a feel for the way it will look which would be great!

The chicks are still doing very well - more strawberries and more chicken rodeo as they stole them back and forth and peeped and ran around like crazy. The kids also had some friends come by today to see the chicks (the friends' parents also brought me a few sanders so the kids could help me with the sanding which was a big help!). Everyone thought they were very cute and so soft and sweet - kids really love them and even grown ups can't help but think they are adorable.
So that brings us to the end of the weekend. It went by too quickly and I wish I had two more days off so I could get the coop up, but the work week calls and honestly my back won't mind the break!

No comments:

Post a Comment